An administrator can configure an Entity Bulk Operation based on logic defined either by Bulk Operation Rules records or by linking the operation to a .NET component.
The following steps describe the initial configuration of an Entity Bulk Operations record:
- Open a new record from the Entity Bulk Operations service.
- Enter a Name for the entity bulk operation.
- This name displays in the list of available operations when the user runs the Entity Bulk Operations wizard.
- Enter the entity on which the bulk operation should run in the Entity field.
- Select the type of entity bulk operation in the Type field:
- Rule: The logic for the entity bulk operation will be defined through Bulk Operation Records configured from the Rules tab.
- Component: The logic for the entity bulk operation will be defined by selecting a .NET component.
- Specify whether the bulk operation should run as a single transaction or as multiple transactions.
- When Run As Single Transaction is selected, the Entity Bulk Operation wizard updates all the selected records in one SQL transaction. If any of the records fail to update, all records processed up to that point roll back to their original version.
When Run As Single Transaction is cleared, each record processes as its own transaction, and only the records that fail roll back. If the bulk operation is run on a large number of records in a view, the system locks the records and other users may be blocked as a result. This option is not recommended if the bulk operation is set to update records with dependencies.
Create Audit List is reserved for future use.
- If you want to limit the bulk operation to specific users and/or groups, clear the Allow Everyone to Run option.
- When Allow Everyone to Run is cleared, the Group Permissions and User Permissions tab become available.
- Click the Details tab and enter additional information about the bulk operation in the Comments field (optional).
- Note that you can enter text in the Help Text field for tracking purposes, but additional functionality associated with this field is not currently implemented.
- Save the Entity Bulk Operations record.
- Once the record has been saved, the Rules tab becomes available.
- Continue the configuration of the Entity Bulk Operations record by:
- Defining rules (applicable if Type is set to Rule). See Defining Rules for Entity Bulk Operations.
- Selecting the .NET component that the Entity Bulk Operation should use (applicable if Type is set to Component). See Selecting a Component for Entity Bulk Operations.
- Defining security permissions (only applicable if the Allow Everyone to Run option is cleared). See Assigning Permissions for Entity Bulk Operations.